Food is synonymous with memories. Going home (back to Mpumalanga) or going to the farm or to the Kruger Park involves lots of family chats and bonding in the morning in our dressing gowns and cup of steaming coffee and mom’s home made rusks. These rusks make a great little gift for loved ones – put some in a packet with a pretty bow.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a really big bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, butter and buttermilk together.
- Mix the all the ingredients together in the bowl to form a dough.
- Spoon the mixture into a large greased baking tray or 2 loaf tins.
- Bake at 180 C for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Remove from the tray and cut them into rusks.
- Place the rusks on a cooling tray and put them into a cool oven (approximately 70 degrees) for 4 – 6 hours until they have dried.