Chocolate is synonymous with Easter – try this easy Chocolate Cake with Marzipan eggs.
Chocolate Cake Nests
4 Egg Whites
4 Egg Yolks
3 Teaspoons of Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1/2 Cup Sunflower Oil
1/2 Cup of Water
1 Cup Castor Sugar
1 Cup Flour
4 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1. Whisk egg whites with one teaspoon of baking powder until stiff
2. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks, vanilla, oil and water together.
3. Add the castor sugar to the yolk mixture and beat well.
4. Sift the flour, cocoa and remaining baking powder (2 teaspoons) together.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the yolk mixture
6. Fold the egg whites into the mixture slowly
7. Pour into two greased tins
8. Bake for 25 minutes.
9. Remove from the oven and let cool
CHOCOLATE BUTTER ICING
100ml of Soft Butter
2 Cups of Sifted Icing Sugar
2 Tablespoons of Cocoa
1. Beat the butter until soft and pale
2. Add the icing sugar slowly while beating the butter
3. Add the Cocoa
4. If the mixture is too thick/dry add a bit of milk drop by drop til you get a nice thick consistancy
You can either make one large cake by icing the middle and putting them on top of one another and then icing around the cake or you can use a circular cookie cutter and cut a circular piece of cake out of the one layer and ice those separately.
Using a flat knife or spatula gentle ice the cake and decorate with sprinkles straight away to ensure that they stick to the icing. Decorate with Marzipan or speckle eggs.