This is the perfect meal to share on a summers day for lunch with friends. It is super tasty and easy to make. It can be made in advance and thus a no stress yummy tasty lunch.
PARMIGIANA DI MELANZANE
Flour for coating
Olive Oil (for Frying)
35g Parmesan (grated)
400g Mozzarella – thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper
Home Made Tomato Sauce
Fresh Basil or Parsley
1. Wash the aubergines and cut into rounds about 1cm thick, sprinkle with salt and leave to “sweat” for 15 minutes. Wipe and dry the slices with paper towel
2. Coat the slices in seasoned flour (lightly – using a plastic bag).
3. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the aubergine until golden brown on both sides.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a shallow baking dish or tin and spread some tomato sauce on the bottom. Then cover with a layer of aubergine. Sprinkle some Parmesan season with salt and pepper and layer mozzarella on top. Spoon tomato sauce and repeat using all the ingredients finishing off with a layer of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan
5. Sprinkle a little olive oil on top and bake for 45 minutes.
6. Decorate with fresh basil leaves
7. Serve Hot
1 Onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed
Dried Chilli Flakes
2 Tins of tomato
Salt and Pepper
1. Saute the onions in some oil until soft and opaque
2. Add the garlic and a dash of Chilli Flakes (or more if you like it Hot) and stir
3. Add the tins of tomato and reduce the heat to a simmer
4. Season with salt and pepper and add the finely chopped herbs
5. Simmer until the sauce reduces to a nice thick consistency
6. Puree in a blender