Johannesburg is going through a heat wave – it is so hot at the moment with expected temperatures of 32 today. In the heat I love eating fresh, clean food apposed to rich, starchy food. This iced cucumber soup is super easy to make and the perfect starter for a hot day.
ICED CUCUMBER SOUP
2 Cups of English Cucumber – peeled and finely diced
1 Medium onion finely chopped
1 Stick of celery finely chopped
1 Packet of Royco Chicken Noodle Soup
1 Cup of Milk
1 Small cup of thin cream
Finely chopped parsley
1. Saute the onion in the butter until soft
2. Add the cucumber and celery and simmer slowly with the lid on until soft (make sure you do this properly as if the cucumber is not soft the soup will have a funny texture)
3. Add the packet of soup and half a cup of water. Stir.
4. Simmer until the dried soup is cooked.
5. Liquidize until the consistancy is like porridge
6. Leave in the fridge (Can do 2 days ahead)
7. Before serving mix in the milk and cream (optional) and stir well
8. Sprinkle with chopped parsley